What Do You think Of Vlogging?

>> Feb 22, 2010

I'll admit, I never thought it would be for me.

The idea of seeing yourself on camera, of other people seeing you on camera...just the thought of it made me shudder.  I'm not exactly photogenic, you know?  And I hate my voice.  And a whole host of other reasons mostly centred around my insecurities.

That's the great thing about blogging, isn't it?  You can hide behind the computer, you can do it in your PJ's with you hair stuck up every which way if you like, with kids hanging off your legs or whilst lying on bed.  You can do it in those ratty old jogging bottoms and that top with the bleach stain down it that you wouldn't be seen dead in, or yawning your head off over your first cup of tea of the day.

You could even do it on the toilet, if you wished, it doesn't matter, no-one would know.  Blog naked lying in a vat of jelly and no-one would be any the wiser.

And yet, this vlogging, capturing ones self on video, has drawn me to it.  Why is that?  I've certainly never held any aspirations to be famous or on TV.

I blame Dan at All the Comes With It.  It was watching his magnificent coke and porridge experiment that first had me considering it.  Got me thinking that there might be more to the whole thing than having to sit still in front of a camera looking pretty.  That it could be fun and silly and still compelling viewing.  And that maybe people might be interested to see a bit more of Lapland through video as well as words (for your viewing pleasure I shall be posting a video tour of my farm tomorrow).

Realising that if you all turned up at my house you'd find me without make up on anyway, and with whatever dodgy style my hair had fashioned itself into that day, I decided to throw vanity to the wind, not bother with making myself look all pretty, and just be me.  And so I took my first nervous steps into vlogging with that marshmallow vlog, you remember the one, the one where I stuffed as many marshmallows into my face as possible (no amount of make-up in the world could have made that pretty) and then dared a couple of others to do it too.

And the crazy thing is, they did.

Watching them I began to realise why I like this vlogging thing so much, what it is that appeals to me. Watching those bloggers on camera (you can see a full list of them here), even though I had only been reading their blogs for a few weeks, I suddenly felt as though I knew them.  Watching them talk, seeing their mannerisms, hearing their accents, it was like meeting them somehow.  I felt connected and still feel closer to those people, as though I have actually met them, than other bloggers whose blogs I have been reading for longer.

So I guess I'm sold on it, as something fun and different to do, I'm not sure I'd want to watch people instead of reading them but a once a week vlog by the bloggers I read would be great, at least I think so, what about you?

What are your thoughts on vlogging?  Do you like watching vlogs or do they bore you?  What sort of things would you like to see on a vlog and what wouldn't you?  Would you ever vlog yourself?  If not, why not?

If you have already, feel free to leave a link to it in the comments section, I love getting a glimpse of bloggers.


My Vlogs:
How Many Marshmallows Can I Fit In My Mouth?
Will She Flip It?
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP