Do You Believe In Ghosts?

>> Mar 12, 2010

I am reading a book called Sprited by Rebecca Rosen who is a professional psychic medium.  This is a bit of an odd one for me, I've never put much faith in the idea of mediums, palm reading, fortune tellers, any of that kind of stuff.

Hell, I'm not even sure if I believe in ghosts.

I'm an atheist, I have no belief whatsoever in God, and have only a small inkling that ghosts might exist.  That's it.

Plus I've never been a big believer in self help books, which is what this is.  Self help.  With ghosts.  Teaching us how to connect to our spirit guides to help solve issues in our lives - god, i feel like a berk just writing that.

I should hate it, I should be making disparaging comments and throwing it into the corner of the room and yet I'm not.  I'm fascinated, compelled to read more, curious and, if I'm honest, a little fearful

Rebecca believes that we live surrounded by ghosts and that their mission is to help us.  That their helping us is some way of making up for the issues they never resolved in their own lives, a way to break the cycle of destructive behaviour.  In this book she teaches us how to connect to our spirit guides, ghosts that are both deceased relatives and other spirits, guardian angles, to help us identify issues and provide clarity for things happening in our lives.

There is no mystery involved.  No fancy clothes, special tables, crystal balls or ouija boards.  She starts by talking about intuition and mediation, two things that I do believe in and gives us a wonderful breathing exercise to ground us.  The word 'grounding' grated on me a little but I did the exercise anyway and after just a few minutes I felt more calm and, yeah, as much as it irks me to admit it, grounded.  Connected to the earth and the air around me some how.  More aware.

Next we moved on to taking an life inventory.  Taking a look at where your life is now, where you want it to be, the things you want to leave behind and those you want to take with you and how different problems manifest themselves in different ways for each person.  For example both being in unhealthy relationships and gossiping about people excessively are different manifestations of insecurity issues.

Then it covers identifying those people in your life that are toxic or draining and shielding yourself against them and getting to the route of your emotional baggage, and all this before there is even a mention of a ghost, or spirit, as she calls them.  Which is the point I am at now.  At that last step of 'sane' advice before taking the plunge into talking to ghosts.

And I'm hesitant.  I think I'm less afraid of having a ghost talk back and what they might say than I am of what this means for my belief system.  If ghosts really exist then what else does?  Fairies?  Daemons?  God?

For someone that knows categorically that God doesn't exist, because that is what atheism is, it's not a belief that he doesn't exist but a knowledge, this is a puzzling place to be standing and I'm not sure I want to go further.

Do you believe in ghosts?  Is it possible to believe in ghosts and not believe in God or some other grand scheme to life?  What do you think about the idea that ghosts are here to help us if we speak to them?


Browse Inside this book
Get this for your site

Buy Spirited from BookDepository - free international delivery

Other posts to make you think:
Will You Get Your DNA Tested?


blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP