Does It Matter What Your Blog Looks Like?

>> Mar 17, 2010

Hi Heather,

I wonder if you can help me.  I'm worried about whether my blog template should be changed or not.  It's just a standard blogger template and I am worried that it might put some people off.  I have seen so many great designs on different blogs and mine looks so boring in comparison.  Does it matter what it looks like?

M


My answer was that I was no expert but I would ask you.

Personally I think it does make a difference, this is why I have mine the way I do, to stand out a little, to be memorable.  (Don't get me wrong here - I'm not saying mine is perfect, although I do love it so, but it certainly stands out).  I don't think a standard template puts me off reading but it does stop me remembering who wrote what.  In fact just last week I spent ages trying to track down a great post I'd read but I couldn't for the life of me remember who had written it - it was one of those Minima Blogger templates - that was all I could remember.

But coming from a woman that practically has to write 'breath in, breath out' on her to-do list each day, this isn't so surprising.  I still have no idea who wrote it but now I can't remember what it was about either.  Sigh.

I do however have a personal hatred of a couple of the Blogger standard templates - I won't say which for fear of offending* - but each time I try to read a post in these templates I get about half way through and close it - I just loath them so.

What do you think?  Does the design of the blog make any difference to you?  Do you find it harder to remember the blog if it looks the same as all the others?  Does it put you off reading it if it's a standard template looking the same as so many others?  Do you take more interest in the ones that stand out design wise?  Does none of it matter a damn to you?

*Okay, I'm going to fess up.  It's the green one and the pink one.  Sorry.  I just loath them and can't read them. I do try, for the bloggers I really like, but so many times I just can't fight my way to the end, it's something about the colour scheme that distracts me from the writing.  Don't hate me.

More Posts On Blogging:
What Makes A Good Blog Post
Feeling Excluded From The Blogging Community
5 tips To Make Blog Reading Easier
blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Snowy Winter by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP